Friday, October 19, 2012

Ombre Ribbon

Today's card is the second creation we made at the October Calgary Stampin' Up! Stamp Club meeing.  As I mentioned yesterday, it was all about ombre, so today's card features hand dyed ombre ribbon.  I did CASE (well, Copy And Share nearly everything) from a card I saw online that of course I can't find now that I'm writing this.  So to the original creator, thank you for the inspiration and I'm sorry I can't give you proper credit here.  

I did switch up the original design and add the ombre ribbon, which is a real showstopper.  I learned this technique from my upline Kristine, who learned it at Stampin' Up! Convention from the concept artists.  I just love how SU! is all about sharing!  

 Tips to create the ombre ribbon:
  • use the 7/8" Cotton Ribbon from the Holiday Catalogue #127844
  • fill an aqua painter with rubbing alcohol
  • fill another aqua painter with rubbing alcohol and a generous number of drops of re-inker (I used more mustard)
  • lay your ribbon on several layer of paper towel (don't want to dye the tablecloth or your desk!)
  • use the aqua painter that has re-inker in it to colour the top half of your ribbon
  • blend the colour down towards the bottom half of your ribbon with the alcohol only aqua painter
  • allow to air dry completely before assembling your card


I used some Crystal Effects to add some water droplets to a few of the leaves.  You can really see one of them in this picture.
Stamps: French Foliage, Loving Thoughts
Ink: Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, More Mustard, Old Olive, Bravo Burgundy, Not Quite Navy
Paper: Early Espresso, Very Vanilla
Ribbon: 7/8" Cotton
Other: Crystal Effects, Aqua Painter (x2), More Mustard Re-inker
All above supplies available from Stampin' Up!
Non-SU! Supplies: paper towel, rubbing alcohol

It takes a little bit of time and practice to make the ombre ribbon, but I really think it's worth it!

Happy Stampin'
Allison
 

No comments:

Post a Comment